Brown Township Logo
MAILING ADDRESS:
   Brown Township
  
2491 Walker Rd.
   Hilliard, OH  43026
OFFICE PHONE:
   (614) 876-2133
OFFICE FAX:
   (
614) 876-2421
ELECTED OFFICIALS:
   Gary Dever, Trustee
   Pamela Sayre, Trustee
   Joe Martin, Trustee
   Greg Ruwe, Fiscal Officer


FIREHOUSE TELEPHONE:
  (614) 527-6390

 Call 911 for Emergencies
MEETINGS:
   Held at 7:00 p.m. on the 3rd Monday of
     each month in the upstairs meeting
     room of the Brown Township Firehouse
     at 2491 Walker Road, Hilliard, Ohio

Other meetings, when held, are advertised at least 24 hours in advance with time and location.

Zoning:
   
 By Franklin County [website]
May 1996
  Welcome Contact Us Search Area Services
Back

Learn about the
Big Darby Accord

 

Brown Township, Franklin County
Vol. 1, No. 4
May 1996

REVISITING THE PLAN

A steering committee has been formed to review and update the Brown Township Comprehensive Plan. To date, the committee has met three times. The first meeting was with Tim Richardson acting as the advisor to the plan from the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission. The committee then met with Phil Laurien, director of the Franklin County Development Department, and Steve McClary, administrator for the City of Columbus' planning division, respectively. Future meetings will be scheduled by the committee to discuss their findings and move forward. Public meetings will be a part of this process. Committee members include former members: Susie Kramer, Barbara Huggett, Harold Jerman and Lee Edwards. New members include Joe Martin, Aristotle Hutras, Donna Carrell, Jeff Smith and Glen Siemer.

H. B. 36 THE ANNEXATION REFORM BILL

While we applaud the efforts of Kay Holmes' (Westerville) letter to the editor in the April 29 edition of the Hilliard This Week newspaper, there is inaccurate information in this letter.

A bill like H.B. 36, which has passed the house, receives the most attention in the Senate. Currently, H.B. 36 is in the Senate and needs passage. S.B. 111 is NOT the same as H.B. 36 and only has been introduced in the Senate and has not been acted upon.

S.B. 111 would permit the filing of an annexation petition during a merger process. It would also establish a special procedure for annexation by a sole owner. These provisions do not benefit townships.

H.B. 36 is the Annexation Reform Bill. It attempts to level the playing field and still needs to pass the State Senate. Call 466-8842 to act!

ZONING UPDATES
Submitted by Gary Dever

Shoemaker Farm (Scioto Darby and Creek Rds)

The zoning for over 300 acres of farmland was changed from rural to LDR (low density residential). The site plan showed 104 lots, mostly 2.5 acres each with three 5-acre lots within the scenic corridor east of Creek Road. It is possible 30% of these lots will not qualify because the land is rippled with Kokomo soils. An alternative plan is being contemplated using the Farm-Village concept. This concept sets aside two acres of farmland in permanent protection for every lot in the "village". The plan is in the holding stage until the Farm-Village concept is approved by the commissioners in July.

Du Chene'Estates (Amity and Scioto Darby)

Mr. Cheney has met all requirements needed to satisfy MORPC and others. Du Chene'Estates consists of eight lots on 24 acres. Three of those lots are 5-acre lots within the scenic corridor and five of those are 2-acre lots with a private lane off of Scioto Darby. Mr. Cheney owns Wholesale Homes; stick homes already manufactured and ready for delivery.

Private Drive at Amity and Roberts Roads (NE corner)

5-acre lots along a private lane off of Amity Road south of the Columbus property has been postponed for 30 days at the first stage MORPC hearing. The plan is under review by the Board of Health, Franklin County Engineer, Zoning and the Nature Conservancy.

Proposed Golf Course (Amity Road North of Beach Road)

160 homesites on over 300 acres with golf course. No official process has been started through MORPC. This plan is still in the feasibility stage and has been under review by the OEPA.

ELEMENT OF BROWN TOWNSHIP HISTORY
By Raymond K. Bradley, a community historian

You may have read the recent news article regarding the invention of the "Cow Catcher" for steam locomotive engines. The site where the idea started was reported to be in Brown Township. Well, it's a fine story and we well might want to claim to be the source, but "taint so". Old county maps clearly show that the original railroad (then called Columbus and Xenia railroad) ran through the northerly portion of Prairie Township and never closer than mile to Brown Township.

Let us examine our roots. Brown Township was formed out of portions of Prairie, Norwich and Washington townships. These were previously taken out of Franklin Township, just as Franklin County had been formed out of Ross County. Brown itself was organized in the spring of 1830. This was the eighteenth and last township in the county to be created. The following is a verbatim copy of the original petition to create Brown Township. You will note the name of Israel Brown. For years I have tried to find out why we are known as Brown Township, and I still don't know. Israel Brown is one of many who submitted the petition, but that doesn't tell us why the Brown name was chosen.

PETITION OF A NEW TOWNSHIP

"Petition of a New Township Presented by James Moore & Others, March 1st 1830 & Recd. Recorded Book C, page 112." [Ohio Historical Society Manuscript Collection, 58Y 5D Fr Co Board of Commissioners Record Petition 1827-1830.] Brown Township Fr Co OH was established from Norwich, Prairie and Washington Twp. Fr Co in 1830.

To the Hon. The Commissioners of Franklin County. We your petitioners humbly showth the inconvenience we labor under for want of a new township being laid off in the western part of Norwich and Prairie Township. 1st as to attending [sic] Elections in Norwich many of the inhabitants have to travel ten or twelve miles or sacrifice their sufferage the Elections ever being held at the extreme east. 2nd As to common Schools we are deprived of our equitable rights the township being districted in two districts from East & West. The Eastern population being mostly weighty they organize their Schools draw Revenue and strip us of public Patronage. 3rd by we the inhabitants of Prairie being few in number situated in the NW corner suff inconvenience Reaching Schools we therefore pray your Honor to grant us a new Township bounded as follows. Vis beginning at the NW Corner of Norwich at the County line thence East with the line of Norwich to a point that due fourth line will include John MCCan, thence to a point an Mile and a quarter in Priaire thence West to the county line, thence north with said line to the place of beginning. We in duty will ever pray.

Subscribers Names from Prairie.

bullet

Timothy DOWNING

bullet

Allen BLAUT

bullet

Adam BLAUT

bullet

Nathan BLAUT

bullet

Samuel HENRY

bullet

Joseph BEALL

bullet

Antony BALES

bullet

Thomas HAWES

bullet

James MOORE

bullet

James LANGTON

bullet

Nia HAWES

bullet

Arnold FULLER

bullet

Wm FOSTER

bullet

Francis DOWNING

bullet

David HAYDEN

bullet

Robert ROSS

bullet

Israel BROWN

bullet

Samuel MORRIS

bullet

James BOYD

bullet

Thomas T Hain

bullet

James FRASURE

bullet

Jacob S ROGERS

bullet

Benjamin CARTER

bullet

Joseph CARTER

bullet

William CARTER

bullet

Athens CLAIFINT

bullet

William COMPTON

bullet

John VANCHOCK

bullet

Isaac HAYDEN

bullet

Henry MILLER

bullet

William BRITEN

bullet

Thomas TEMPLE

bullet

Bartley BOYD

bullet

Knowlton BAILEY

About 30 years ago, Cora Bailey Bradley (Mrs. Lewis Bradley) showed me the original patent whereby her grandfather, Knowlton Bailey, acquired his land. The patent was signed by President James Monroe (or one of his clerks could have been assigned to sign the President's name to what must have been routine documents). Mr. Monroe was President from 1817 to 1825. Since this is all Virginia Military Land, Knowlton Bailey must have been entitled land for Revolutionary War services for Virginia. That would be an interesting research project. Are there others who do have an original patent? We would love to have a copy for our township records.

You will note several misspellings in the petition, not only for words but also names. For example, Adam Blaut was undoubtedly Adam Blount, one of the very first settlers in the area, coming from Virginia.

Early histories suggest the first settlers came into the area along Big Darby Creek about 1808 to 1810. The eastern portion of the township was then a dense wilderness and didn't develop until 1825 or 1840 depending upon which sources you consult.

John Hayden, a Pennsylvanian, moved to Brown Township in 1818 and located on what I knew as the Charles High farm on Amity Road just a short distance above Roberts Rd. As a boy I worked on that farm in the hay and on a threshing crew, but that's another story. Later that farm was owned by Ben and Dale Sayre and is now owned by Columbus.

The Beach family were early settlers lending their name to Beach Road, but more importantly, owning much land in the vicinity of Amity and Carter Roads.

In 1840, the Federal Census showed Brown Township as having a population of 425 persons. In 1880, that had increased to 982 and we're still growing!

TRASH DISTRICT SURVEY RESULTS

Of the 21 responses received and recorded by the clerk, 13 favored a single hauler. Nine respondents felt the hauler should handle complaints and billing concerns. 17 respondents used Johnson and 16 of those were satisfied to very satisfied. The majority of respondents (12) were not willing to pay more for recycling. Yet, added comments concerning recycling indicated a willingness to recycle.

One concern needs to be addressed. The township will not receive a "kickback" by choosing a single hauler. This is strictly a service to the residents. Also, the clerk is not involved in the billing process. The hauler will be in charge of billing, and every household will be billed if a trash district is formed. Look for more information from Ron Williams in the next newsletter.

DARBY BABBLE

Recently, Steve Flint organized a clean up of two dumpsites on Amity Road north of Carter. On one site, someone has dumped a small refrigerator. The refrigerator created a pool from a tributary, which ran through the property. While Steve was waiting for someone from the Solid Waste Authority; he decided to seine the pool. Within his seine, he found FIVE different types of darters! That's five different darters in a tributary of the Darby. Amazing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
This is the official  Brown Township website and is Copyright Brown Township, Franklin County, Ohio, USA.
Page updated November 13, 2016 Please send comments or questions about the website to the Joe_Martin@Brown.Twp.Franklin.oh.us.
WebMail